Through the curriculum, community living and the specialised range of therapies that are offered at The Mount we aim to help each individual student to develop their intellectual capacities, social-emotional intelligence and the co-ordination and skill of their limbs so that they are able to enter adult life as fully as possible.
We offer a broad spectrum of therapies, each of which addresses the whole person in a specific way:
· In Massage Therapy the focus is on harmonising the body
· Through Therapeutic Gymnastics students are helped to orientate themselves in space
· Eurythmy Therapy works to connect the elements of the individuality through movement
· With Painting Therapy we work primarily to encourage expression and awareness of emotions
· In Speech and Language Therapy the student is motivated to develop communication skills
Therapies are allocated by the Therapy Group consisting of tutors, house co-ordinators, therapists and co-workers, who meet regularly and are responsible for caring for the therapeutic needs of each student. This decision is in most cases informed by the specialist knowledge of the college’s Medical Advisor who can recommend the therapies that will balance and strengthen specific aspects of each student. An important element in the therapy provision is the consent and motivation of the student.